Click here for information on Emergency Financial Housing Assistance Programs and to apply.
In March 2022, Way Finders was selected by the Town of Amherst to develop mixed-income housing on two Town-owned sites: the former East Street School at 31 South East Street and 72, 76, and 80 Belchertown Road. As the owner and property manager of two affordable housing developments in Amherst (Butternut Farms and Olympia Oaks), Way Finders is thrilled to expand our impact and provide more housing in Amherst. Way Finders will also manage the new development once complete.
• Approximately 70 units across both sites
• One-, two- and three-bedrooms, with the majority being larger units for families
• Rents that will be affordable to a range of household incomes
• Reuse of the former East Street School (to be converted into six apartments)
• Property Management office, Community Room, bike storage, and common laundry on both sites
• Commitment to highly sustainable design including a plan to seek Enterprise Green Communities and Passive House certifications
The project is in the very early stages, and Way Finders will initiate stakeholder engagement and design in Spring 2022 in preparation for a Comprehensive Permit application to the Amherst Zoning Board of Appeals in late 2022. Way Finders intends to develop the two sites concurrently, with the goal to start construction in 2025. Applications for apartments will be available approximately six months before the end of construction.
Way Finders’ proposal can be downloaded here.